The number of companies using Facebook as a platform for their online presence keeps growing. Small and medium sized businesses alone amounted to 40 million Facebook pages in April 2015, compared to 30M in June 2014.
At the same time, only 2 million of SMEs advertise actively on Facebook. Considering the fact that organic reach for posts by pages was declined last year, it looks like the rest 95% of companies are either finding alternative ways of reaching more people or keeping their Facebook pages just in case.
Apart from just posting updates, promoting posts and buying likes or clicks, a lot can be done to turn a company’s Facebook page into a lead generation booster. Using a few simple tools, it’s easier to achieve more specific goals and increase the effectiveness of your promo campaign.
This agile tool allows to direct potential customers to any desired landing page right from a company’s Facebook timeline or any other page tab. After adding a call-to-action, it is displayed right of the Like button. Facebook provides 7 standard calls to action, any of which can be selected and edited anytime:
- Book Now – best to use for online event- or ticket reservation.
- Contact Us – link this call-to-action with the Contact us page on your website.
- Use App – promt your visitors to download a mobile app right away. Also shown when your app is listed in Facebook App Center and associated with the page.
- Play Game – this button is displayed on app pages of both canvas and mobile games listed in Facebook App Center. Optionally, it may be added to any other type of a Faceook page.
- Shop Now – send Facebook visitors right to your online store.
- Sign Up – perfect to grow your mailing list or take visitors to a campaign-specific landing page.
- Watch Video – drive more traffic to your YouTube channel or let your Facebook page visitors learn more about the product/service you’re promoting with video testimonials, guides and reviews. If you’re running a pre-launch promo campaign for your app, service or product, link the button with a video teaser.
Call-to-action buttons also work in Facebook’s mobile app and mobile web version. What is more important, it’s easy to figure out which call-to-action works best on your page with statistics for button clicks during the last 7 days.
Special offer custom page tab
Tabs are a wonderful tool to take your Facebook page to a new level. If you want to promote your special offer even more effectively on Facebook, you’ll definitely need to extend the limits of standard page tabs. Years ago, custom tabs used to be built with FBML (Facebook Markup Language). Now, displaying custom contet is carried out with the help of an iframe, which loads any web page developed and hosted outside of Facebook within a specific page tab. This works similar to a web app on Facebook and lets you use basically any functionality, any design elements you want. Read more about the process of creating custom page tabs in this tutorial.
Note that custom tabs will only work in the desktop version of Facebook. However, with tabs you are able to run very specific promo campaigns. Supposing, you’ve created a special offer landing page you’d like to direct visitors to and generate leads with (your landing page must have a contact/sign-up form). Here’s an idea how Facebook page tabs can be useful in this respect:
- Create a special offer tab displaying the content of your landing page.
- Go to Facebook Ads Manager and create a new ad campaign. Choose the objective for your campain: Promote your page.
- Set up targeting options for your audience, specify budget and scheduling, choose up to 6 images (see the Facebook Ads Guide). Then, expand the Advanced Options section and select the desired landing view. It allows you to set a specific page tab which will open after a person clicks on the ad. In this particular case, you’ll need to send people to your Special Offer tab:
- In Ad preview and placements, remove the Mobile News Feed, as custom tabs on Facebook apply to the desktop version only. There’s no need to pay for irrelevant likes which will not follow the special offer tab clicks.
- Provided your campaign is optimized for likes (check the Budget & Pricing section in the new campaign menu), you’ll only pay when a person likes the page. But you won’t be charged for clicks on your ad, which happen more often than likes. Clicks will lead users to your custom tab where they can get detailed information regarding your offer and sign up if they’re interested. Even if an ad click doesn’t result into a page like, but the lead is submitted via the special offer tab, you will reach your business goal. This means that you can receive many of your leads from such type of an ad campaign for free.
Posting offers on the page timeline
Here’s another awesome tool to promote your unique proposal. An offer is a special post format which appears on the page timeline and in the user newsfeed. It can be created from pages for local business and places with at least 50 likes.
There are pretty many ways to customize the offer. Facebook allows to add the following information:
- Start & expiration dates;
- Claims limit;
- Online redemption link;
- Terms and conditions.
Check out the Creating Offers Guide in Facebook Help Center.
The best practice is to enable offer online redemption via the special offer landing page or online store. After a customer clicks on the Get Offer button, he or she receives an offer confirmation email. Customers’ details are not shared with the publisher, that’s why it’s necessary to provide them with a clear instruction how to redeem the offer, and prevent them from frustration. The easiest way to do this is to specify a link which they can follow to let you know they’d like to use the special.
Just like other types of posts, offers are displayed on both mobile and desktop. Besides, you can pin the offer to the top of the page timeline to give it more exposure. Then, any visitor that gets to your page will see the offer at once, whichever device type he or she is using.
Offers can be created not only from pages, but from Ads Manager as well. When creating a new ad campaign, it’s possible to use a special advertising format in order to get more people to claim your offer.
Optimizing the ad campaign for offer claims helps to increase its effeciveness for your business and save marketing costs. You won’t be charged for clicks which don’t produce leads.